Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blanket Jackson

Good evening!  I am very excited to share a crochet blanket that I just made.  First I must give you a little history so you can understand why I am so thrilled.

Once upon a time, I was a volunteer at a hospital downtown as an outpatient greeter.  There were other volunteer opportunities, and one of them was to crochet blankets for preemies.  Time somehow got away from me; and six years later, I still had all three skeins of yarn they gave me, with two skeins attached to barely-started baby blankets.  I have been determined to make the blankets, but I always have more fun ideas that I get fixated on!  Long story boring, last Saturday I met up with Brooke & Christine to have a girls day.  Blankets don't require much concentration, so I brought my hospital yarn along.  YEY!  

Pictures, pattern, & materials below.

Edge folded over & border:
Stitch detail:
Full blanket (~22 sq inches):
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft (1 skein "soft green," 1 skein of a blue)
Hook:  G6/4.00MM

I started off with green, and ch 101.  Then I did alternating:
- 4 rows dc
- 3 rows of
(1) 2 sc, sk 1
(2 & 3) 2 sc between each 2 sc prior

I ran out of green and did the same pattern blue on either end to make it look semi normal.  I don't love it, but what can you do when you run out of free hospital yarn?  I finished with a border of 1 row sc, and 1 row reverse sc.  Um, can we talk about reverse sc...otherwise known as CRAB STITCH.  Holy crap, how am I just learning about this awesome stitch with an awesome Zoidberg-esque name.

Anyways, I still have 1.5 skeins of blue left so I am going to make another baby blanket.  I cannot believe this day has finally come.

No comments: