Monday, December 5, 2011

MAQs

The other day I was working on some fingerless gloves for my sister, and Marty started asking me questions about my crochet.   Considering how little he knew about my crochet, I am sure my lovely blog followers know even less.  So I thought it might be good to include a little MAQ here (Marty-Asked Questions)!

Me in a TeaBeans original Earwarmer

How did you learn to crochet?
Freshman year of college (2000) a friend showed me how to do a granny square.  My first few projects were blankets that were essentially one giant granny square.  Then I progressed to variations (such as two granny squares sewn together with a string that could sorta be a bag, or chains of granny squares that could sorta be a scarf).  Therefore, I only knew hdc, ch, and could go only in circles.

About 5 years later, my sorority sister Tiffany was staying with me in NYC during her internship.  She was crocheting a blanket for her future husband, and showed me what felt like a Rosetta stone of crochet: turning.  Finally I was not confined to circles!

I have been messing around ever since then, learning all the stitches on my own, with a little help from my friends who were book editors at Sterling and would give me crochet books as gifts.

Do you make up your own patterns?  
Yes!  Nearly every single project I have ever done is original TeaBeans design.  I owe a great debt to a children's crochet book (the name I can't remember!).  It taught me how to make beanie hats, which is the foundation for every hat I design.

I have no interest in copying a pattern.  I would sooner buy ready-made at a store.

Do you sell patterns?
No, sorry.  You can have my patterns for free!   I just don't usually write them down.  Plus, why bother charging, when I figured it all out on my own anyways?

If you have any questions, let me know!

No comments: